Our argument, stated once: the export-heavy half of Mumbai's benchmark — pharma above all — should publish tariff sensitivity before the Reserve Bank's Monetary Policy Committee meets on October 5–7, because the market is currently pricing a US drug-levy risk that no large listed issuer has put a number on.
The case rests on the tape. On September 26 the Sensex closed down 733.22 points at 80,426.46 and the Nifty fell 236.15 to 24,654.70 — a sixth consecutive declining session, with every sector in the red and pharma and IT specifically cited in the selloff on US drug and truck tariff headlines. That is a market making a policy judgement. Six-session slides do not reverse on sentiment alone; they reverse when the underlying uncertainty is either resolved or quantified. Neither has happened.
What the tape said, and what it did not
A six-day fall is not proof that tariffs will arrive. It is proof that positioning was thin enough for a headline to move the index. That distinction matters, because the same week produced evidence pointing the other way. The RBI's September bulletin described the economy as resilient with downside risks from the West Asia conflict, noted a strong first-quarter GDP print, flagged a pickup in August CPI, and put reserves at $766 billion as of September 18 — 11.2 months of import cover. The central bank also spent the week steadying the rupee, with traders reporting pre-open dollar sales as the currency traded near 95.88 against 95.97 early on September 25.
None of that is a tariff hedge. It is a buffer. Buffers absorb shocks; they do not make them disappear, and we should not let a comfortable reserve number be used to postpone the harder disclosure question.
The domestic cushion is real — and it is not a hedge
The strongest objection to our position is that Indian pharma is no longer an export story with a domestic afterthought. Domestic demand has held up, the RBI's demand-side read is broadly intact, and the capex pipeline has fattened: the central bank estimates private corporate capex at ₹3.2 lakh crore for FY27, against ₹2.6 lakh crore in FY26, financed through banks, financial institutions, external commercial borrowings and IPOs. A company with a growing domestic franchise and a funded pipeline can absorb a levy on one export market far better than a pure-play exporter can.
We accept that, and we still think the objection fails. The pipeline figure is an aggregate; it says nothing about which issuers carry concentrated US revenue. Domestic volume does not price tariff risk into a stock. Disclosure does. A firm whose US book is a quarter of revenue and whose domestic growth is a tenth of that faces very different arithmetic from the sector average. Investors are currently being asked to guess which is which — and when investors are asked to guess, they sell the whole sector, which is precisely what six consecutive sessions of broad-based decline look like.
The MPC question is separate, and should stay separate
There is a temptation to fold this into the October 5–7 MPC decision, and we think that would be a mistake. A tariff is a fiscal and trade event on the other side of the world. The MPC's mandate is inflation and the domestic cycle. August CPI picked up; oil risk from West Asia is live; the rupee is being managed near 95.9. Cutting to cushion equities would confuse an equity drawdown with a growth shock, and it would risk importing inflation through a softer currency exactly when the bulletin is already flagging external risk.
The reverse temptation is also worth naming. If the MPC holds, that is not a verdict on pharma earnings. It simply means monetary policy is not the instrument for this problem.
"Resilient, with downside risks from the West Asia conflict."
— RBI September bulletin, as reported by The Hindu, September 25.
What should happen before October 5
Three specific things, and we would hold the sector to all three.
First, boards of the large listed pharma names should disclose, in a plain line, the share of revenue exposed to the US market and the sensitivity of operating margin to a plausible range of levy scenarios. Not a scenario deck. A number.
Second, the commerce ministry and the health ministry should publish their own working estimate of exposure, so that any negotiating position is grounded in a figure rather than an industry association's talking point. If the government is going to take this risk to a bilateral table, it should know the size of the stake it is defending.
Third, analysts should stop treating the pharma index and the domestic-demand story as one trade. The two have diverged for two years; the last six sessions simply made the divergence expensive.
The point
We may be wrong about the levy. Tariff headlines have a habit of becoming negotiation chips and then nothing at all. But that is the case for disclosure, not against it. If the risk is small, a published number ends the slide in a day. If the risk is large, the market and the MPC should both know the size of it before October 5, not after. What we should not do is treat $766 billion of reserves and a healthy capex pipeline as permission to keep guessing.
